Introducing Former Residence of Mao Zedong (from wikipedia)
Former Residence of Mao Zedong is located in Shaoshan Village of Shaoshan Township in Shaoshan, Xiangtan, Hunan, China. The building was the birthplace and childhood home of Mao Zedong, the first leader of the People’s Republic of China. It has a building area of about 472.92-square-metre (5,090.5 sq ft), embodies buildings such as the old houses, the Mao Zedong Memorial Hall, the Bronze Statue of Mao Zedong, the Cultural relics Exhibition Hall, and the Dishui Hole (Dripping Water Cave).
Former Residence of Mao Zedong Fast Facts
• Chinese Name: Mao Ze Dong Gu Ju 毛泽东故居
• Best Time to Visit: Mid-February to April, August to October
• Recommended Visiting Hours: About 3 to 5 hours
• Things to Do: Photography, Nature
• Opening Hours: 08:00-16:00
• Entrance Fee: Free; ¥30 for Dishui Hole; ¥30 for Mao Zedong Memorial Hall; ¥ Stele Forest of Poems of Mao Zedong; ¥10 for the South Shore
• Address: Shaoshanchong, 037 County Road, Shaoshan, Xiangfan City, Hunan Province
What to expect at Former Residence of Mao Zedong
On December 26, 1893, Chairman Mao was born in this house, a simple mud-brick farmhouse, which has 13 rooms，and this is where he spent his childhood and youth, attending school and helping his father with his work. The rooms are furnished as they would have looked when Chairman Mao lived there, and most of the utensils are the original ones.
To the house, it was not only the private one belonging to Mao’s family only. It was a shared house with Mao and his neighbor. So we said that there is only one half of the central room belongs to Mao’s family. Go through the kitchen was Chairman Mao’s parent’s bedroom, there are two photos of Chairman Mao’s parents on the inner wall, and it was in this room where Chairman Mao was born. Since it was opened to the public in 1951, it has received more than 100 million visits from both home and abroad
How to get to Former Residence of Mao Zedong
• Take Train 5365 from Changsha Railway Station to Shaoshan (6:40-9:30);
Take Train K585 from Changsha Railway Station to Shaoshan (6:52-8:44);
Additional travel advice on Former Residence of Mao Zedong
• Usually, guests can see Red Azalea in April and Red leaves since mid-August.