Introducing Huanhua Stream Park
Next to the Du Fu’s Thatched Cottage Museum and Sichuan Museum, lies the Huanhua Strem Park, also known as Huan Huaxi Park, which is the largest urban forest park in the west of Chengdu. The large park consists of a lake, a wetland, a hill, and streams meandering across the area.
Huanhua Stream Park Fast Facts
• Chinese Name: Huanhuaxi Gongyuan 浣花溪公园
• Best Time to Visit: March to June, September to November
• Recommended Visiting Hours: About 1 to 2 hours
• Things to Do: Photography, Hiking, Nature
• Opening Hours: 06:00-22:00 from May to Oct; 07:00-21:00 from Nov. to Apr
• Entrance Fee: Free
• Address: No.9 Qinghua Road, Qingyang District, Chengdu, Sichuan Province
What to expect at Huanhua Stream Park
The most famous site inside Chengdu Huanhua Stream Park is the 400-meter-long Poetry Path, which is carved with the most-read verses of well-known poets in the history of Chinese literature. Chengdu Huanhua Stream Park is also one of the best places for bird watching in the city.
Du Fu’s cottage and park has become more of a tourist attraction over the years, but his poems and personality truly represent what this city once was: a place of emotion, thought and exile, before twenty years of economic growth transformed China. It served as an escape from the harsh realities of the nation’s capital far away.
Read Du Fu’s description of his home and how he was forced, due to his poverty, to chase away urchins and serve his friends a measly two eggs, before walking along the stream that he sat by while composing his poems.
How to get to Huanhua Stream Park
• Take bus No. 151 or 1024 and get off at Huanhua Nanlu Station.
• Take bus No. 19, 35, 58, 82, 165, 170, 309, 319 or 1031 and get off at Songxianqiao Station.
Additional travel advice on Huanhua Stream Park
• It is not recommended to visit the park on weekends or public holidays.
• Please take care when walking around the lake area.