Introducing Yadan National Geological Park
Located on the northwest of Dunhuang, 180 kilometers away from the city, Yadan National Geologic Park is famous for its largest scale of Yadan Landforms, fully developing into the most valuable ornament in the world. The Yadan National Geological Park is 25 km long from the east to the west, and 18 km wide from the south to the north north to south. The modeling of the Yadan National Geological Park is surprisingly charming, a marvelous creation excelling nature. After the film Hero was shot here, the magnificent scenery has attracted countless tourists. Yadan National Geological Park has become another tourist resort in Dunhuang.
Yadan National Geological Park Fast Facts
• Chinese Name: Yadan Guojia Dizhi Gongyuan 雅丹国家地质公园
• Best Time to Visit: April to October
• Recommended Visiting Hours: About 2 to 3 hours
• Things to Do: Photography, Nature, Adventure
• Opening Hours: 06:30-18:00
• Entrance Fee: ¥120 for admission and shuttle bus
• Address: 180 km Northwest of Dunhuang, Jiuquan, Gansu Province
What to expect at Yadan National Geological Park
“Yadan,” which refers to a precipitous hillock in the Uygur language, is a kind of wind-eroded landform.Yadan landforms rise above the flat Gobi Desert and cover a vast area. Due to its eccentric landforms, the hard-to-spot roads, low-lying terrain, strong magnetism and howling sounds made by the wind, the area is also called “Ghost City” by local people.
Yadan landform, or Dunhuang Ghost City, is 85 km from the West Yumen Pass, extending 25 km from east to west and 1-2 km from north to south. The styles of the buildings inside are elegant; here you will find city walls, streets, multi-storied buildings, squares and sculptures. Sand hills are scattered randomly in different shapes in the town.
Dunhuang Devil Town
Dunhuang Dveil Town is divided into southern and northern districts and every scenic spot within this region is genuinely breathtaking. Many tourists say that being in Devil City is like visiting a magnificent museum of architecture.
How to get to Yadan National Geological Park
• Take a Tourist Bus from Dunhuang Hotel (North Section) to Yadan. The bus also passes by Dunhuang Tourist Center, Western Thousand Buddha Caves, Yanguan Pass and Yumen Pass. The bus departs at 08:30 every day. Visitors can book tickets at Dunhuang Tourist Center, each Tourist Information Center in Dunhuang and the Tourist Hall of Singing Sand Dunes & Crescent Lake Scenic Area.
• Rent a vehicle to the park is more convenient.
Additional travel advice on Yadan National Geological Park
• Please prepare a scarf to cover your face in case there are sandstorms.
• It is recommended to visit the park early in the morning or during the sunset as the temperature goes high in daytime. The best time to appreciate and take photos of the beautiful sunset in desert is around 18:00.