Introducing Wuzhen Water Town
Established more than 1,300 years ago, Wuzhen is a typical example of water towns in the south of the Yangtze River. Covering an area of 110.93 square kilometers, the town is home to 110,000 people. With convenient transportation, rich tourism resources and beautiful environment, Wuzhen is one of the 10 most charming towns in China, which earns its reputation as “the Last Riverside Town in China”.
Wuzhen Water Town Fast Facts
• Chinese Name: Wuzhen 乌镇
• Best Time to Visit: April to October
• Recommended Visiting Hours: About 4 to 6 hours
• Things to Do: Photography, Chinese History and Culture, Cruise, Exhibition
• Opening Hours: Dongzha: 07:00-18:00 from May 1 to Oct 8/07:00-17:30 from Oct 8 to Apr 30; Xizha: 09:00-22:00
• Entrance Fee: ¥150 for Xizha; ¥110 for Dongzha; ¥190 for through ticket
• Address: Wuzhen Town, Tongxiang, Jiaxing, Zhejiang Province
What to expect at Wuzhen Water Town
The ancient Beijing-Hangzhou Grand Canal flows through Wuzhen Water Town, which is divided by waterways into four areas: East Gate Scenic Zone (Dongzha), South Gate Scenic Zone (Nanzha), West Gate Scenic Zone (Xizha) and North Gate Scenic Zone (Beizha). Riverside buildings with unique features of the Ming and Qing dynasties can be found everywhere in Wuzhen. Since its foundation in 872 A.D., Wuzhen has never changed its name, location, waterways, or way of life. Traditional buildings remain intact today even after hundreds years of weathering.
Visitors can explore the water town’s highlights, including the Sanbai Wine Workshop, built during the Song Dynasty and the only winery that remains in Wuzhen. Visit the Hundred-Bed Museum and learn about indigo dye at Hongyuan Tie Dye; then watch a shadow puppet show with musical accompaniment on traditional Chinese instruments. Wrap up with a scenic cruise on the river would be a wonderful experience.
How to get to Wuzhen Water Town
• Take local bus Tongxiang 340/K340, Tongxiang 350/K350 or Tongxiang 347/K347 and get off at Xizha Scenic Area.
• Take a direct bus from Hangzhou Passenger Transport Central Station to Wuzhen.
• Take a train from from Hangzhou Railway Station or Hangzhou East Railway Station to Tongxiang Railway Station. Then change to local bus K282 and get off at Xizha Scenic Area.
Additional travel advice on Wuzhen Water Town
• Xizha Scenic Area offers 24 hours sightseeing bus service. Tourist who accommodate in the scenic area could take the bus for free by presenting a room card or hotel registration form.
• The Scenic Area offers free shuttle bus service between Xizha and Dongzha (Summer: 07:30 -18:00/Winter: 07:30 -17:40).