Introducing Karakuri Lake (from Wikipedia & CITS)
Karakuri Lake (lit. “black lake”), situated at the foot of Muztagh Ata, lies 191 kilometers (about 120 miles) from Kashgar. At an altitude of 3,600 m, it is the highest lake of the Pamir plateau, near the junction of the Pamir, Tian Shan and Kunlun mountain ranges. Surrounded by mountains which remain snow-covered throughout the year, the three highest peaks visible from the lake are the Muztagh Ata (7,546 m), Kongur Tagh (7,649 m) and Kongur Tiube (7,530 m). The lake is popular among travellers for its scenery and the clarity of its reflection in the water, whose color ranges from a dark green to azure and light blue. There are two Kirgiz settlements along the shore of Karakul lake, a small number of yurts about 1 km east of the bus drop-off point and a village with stone houses located on the western shores.
Karakuri Lake Fast Facts
• Chinese Name: Ka La Ku Le Hu 喀拉库勒湖
• Best Time to Visit: May to October
• Recommended Visiting Hours: 2-3 hours
• Things to Do: Photography, Nature, Mountaineering
• Opening Hours: 08:00-17:00
• Entrance Fee: CNY 50 (Excluding CNY10 for Border Permit)
• Address: At the foot of Muztagh Ata, Akto County, Kizilsu Kyrgyz Autonomous Prefecture, Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region
What to expect at Karakuri Lake
At the lakefront, there is grassland with roaming flocks and herds. At dawn, Karakuri Lake looks as pure as a jade mirror. When the sun rises, the lake changes colors in the course of a few minutes from mauve to golden and then to light pink. The snow-covered mountain, green grass and livestock form reflections in the mirror-like water, creating a fair and charming picture of Karakuri Lake.
At the lakeside, there are yurts and frame houses of Tajik ethnic group providing rooms and board for visitors. You can also go out on the small rafts and enjoy yourselves on the lake. A reception center near the lake facilitates rentals, yachts, camels, horses etc. in accordance with your needs.
How to get to Karakuri Lake
• Take a bus at Kashgar Coach Station to Karakuri Lake.
• Rent a car/bus from GGC to enjoy a hassle free private transfer from hotels in Kashgar to Karakuri Lake.
Additional travel advice on Karakuri Lake
• Warm jackets are necessary as the temperature is low during night.
• If you want to spend another day here, you can stay in the Mongolia ger (CNY 40 per person) or in the brick house (CNY50 per person).