Introducing Iron Bridge of Yellow River
Lanzhou Iron Bridge of Yellow River is a bridge over the Yellow River; it is also named the First Bridge over the Yellow River. The bridge is like an epic, keeping the historical changes of the city and has been a lasting memory deeply carved in Lanzhou.
Iron Bridge of Yellow River Fast Facts
• Chinese Name: Huang He Tie Qiao 黄河铁桥
• Best Time to Visit: April to October
• Recommended Visiting Hours: About 1 hour
• Things to Do: Photography, Nature, Lanzhou History and Culture
• Opening Hours: All day
• Entrance Fee: Free
• Address: North of Zhongshan Bridge, Chengguan District, Lanzhou, Gansu Province
What to expect at Iron Bridge of Yellow River
Lanzhou Iron Bridge of Yellow River was built in 1907 with a length of 233.33 meters and a width of 7.5 meters. Taking the advice of Mr. Peng Yingjia, the Mayor of Lanzhou of the imperial Qing government, Shengyun, the Governor-general of Gansu Province, utilized over 9,375kg (300,000 Liang) of Silver from the national treasury. The contract was executed by a German company Telge & Schroeter, with an American, McLeod Mamboben and a German, Derek Gauss acting as technical directors. All materials, even the rivets, were transported from Germany to China using ships, trains, carts and any other means possible. The bridge was completed in 1909, and named ‘Lanzhou Iron Bridge over the Yellow River’. The name of the bridge was changed to Zhongshan Bridge (Zhongshan is the Chinese name of Dr. Sun Yat-sen) in 1942, to commemorate Dr. Sun Yat-sen.
The night view of the Iron Bridge of Yellow River is amazing. With the lights on the arches and the reflection of the bridge in the water, the bridge offers an idea background for photographing.
How to get to Iron Bridge of Yellow River
• By Bus: take bus No. 4, 6, 9, 15, 25, 74, 105, 109, 137, 139, 142 or Lanzhou Zhongchuan Airport Shuttle Bus West Line to Zhongshanqiao / Huanghe Daqiao Station.
• Rent a car/bus from GGC to enjoy a hassle free private transfer from hotels in Lanzhou to Iron Bridge of Yellow River.
Additional travel advice on Iron Bridge of Yellow River
• Please take care of your children and belongings on the bridge.
• Please wear body lotion, lip balm and hand cream as it is always dry in Lanzhou.
• Visitors can also spend leisure time at Zhangye Road Pedestrian Street (1.2 km from the iron bridge). The street is the landmark and heart of the city, with various malls, stores and restaurants.