Introducing White Pagoda Mountain
White Pagoda Mountain, famous for its white pagoda built during the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368), is located at the northern bank of the Yellow River in Lanzhou. Legend has it that the White Pagoda was built in honor of a well-known Tibetan Lama who died of an illness in Lanzhou when on his way to Mongolia as representative of the leader of Sakyapa in order to meet Genghis Khan.
White Pagoda Mountain Fast Facts
• Chinese Name: Bai Ta Shan 白塔山
• Best Time to Visit: March to September
• Recommended Visiting Hours: About 3 to 4 hours
• Things to Do: Photography, Nature, Lanzhou History and Culture
• Opening Hours: 06:00-18:00
• Entrance Fee: Free
• Address: North of Zhongshan Bridge, Chengguan District, Lanzhou, Gansu Province
What to expect at White Pagoda Mountain
The white pagoda, 17 meters high, covering a construction area of 8,000 sq meters, has a round foundation and seven floors. Its eight sides contain many statues of Buddha. On top of the White Pagoda Mountain stand the Mudan Pavilian, Guanyin Cave, Lan Pavilion and other buildings.
White Pagoda Mountain where White Pagoda Mountain Park is located also boasts the elephant-skin drum, bronze bell. These are precious treasures for White Pagoda villages.
White Pagoda Mountain is also famous for redbub tree, which are the so-called “three treasures of the town.” Through the impenetrable trees, tourists enjoy an excellent bird-eye view of Lanzhou from Lanzhou White Pagoda Mountain Park.
How to get to White Pagoda Mountain
• By Bus: take bus No. 20, 35, 53, 108 or 131 to Baitashan Gongyuan Station.
• Rent a car/bus from GGC to enjoy a hassle free private transfer from hotels in Lanzhou to White Pagoda Mountain.
Additional travel advice on White Pagoda Mountain
• Visitors can take chairlift to the hillside of the mountain.
• Please wear body lotion, lip balm and hand cream as it is always dry in Lanzhou.