Introducing Lugu Lake
The Lugu Lake is located between Ninglang Yi Prefecture of Yunnan Province and Yanyuan County of Sichuan Province. As a famous lake on plateau, the Lugu Lake covers an area of 51.8 square meters, and is 2,680 meters above sea level. It perfectly combines the natural landscape with the human culture, especially the distinctive folk custom of the Mosuo people, which is an irreplaceable world cultural heritage and adds a unique flavor to the Lugu Lake. The Lugu Lake attracts numerous tourists from home and abroad with its beautiful scenery, primitive and mysterious culture, ancient religious custom, and elegant folk dance.
Lugu Lake Fast Facts
• Chinese Name: Lu Gu Hu 泸沽湖
• Best Time to Visit: April to November
• Recommended Visiting Hours: About 1 day
• Things to Do: Photography, Nature, Boating, Cycling
• Opening Hours: 08:00-18:00
• Entrance Fee: CNY 100
• Address: Border of Ninglang County of Yunnan and Yanyuan County of Sichuan
What to expect at Lugu Lake
Lugu Lake is surrounded by dense forests and the air there is pure and fresh. Since people seldom visit the Lugu Lake, it is one of the least destroyed places in China. Lugu Lake is crystal clear and has a beautiful landscape. Moreover, the Lugu Lake is abundant in various kinds of fish, such as carp, thin scale fish, and Lugu belly-split fish, etc.
On the lakeside lives a special minority group Mosuo, a rare group still carrying on the matriarchal clan system. Their unique Axia marriage system and primitive folk custom add a mysterious and splendid color to the ancient land reputed as the mysterious oriental kingdom of girls.
How to get to Lugu Lake
• Lugu Lake is approximately 178km away from Lijiang.
• Take a bus from Lijiang Bus Station at the entrance of Lijiang Old Town to Daluoshui Village which is situated at the bank of Lugu Lake.
• Rent a car/bus from GGC to enjoy a hassle free private transfer from hotels in Lijiang to Lugu Lake.
Additional travel advice on Lugu Lake
• Lugu Lake is on plateau and the UV is strong. Please wear sunscreen, hat and sunglasses to prevent sunburns.
• Prepare warm clothes as the temperatures drops dramatically in rainy days.
• Do not take a bath or swim in the lake.