Introducing Jinxi Water Town
On the border between Jiangsu Province and Shanghai, stands the historic town of Jinxi – a place which awakens long-forgotten memories of how life was lived in the water towns on the lower reaches of the Yangtze River.
Jinxi Water Town Fast Facts
• Chinese Name: Jinxi Guzhen 锦溪古镇
• Best Time to Visit: April to October
• Recommended Visiting Hours: About 2 to 3 hours
• Things to Do: Photography, Architecture, History and Culture
• Opening Hours: 08:00-17:00 from Apr to Oct; 08:00-16:30 from Nov to Mar
• Entrance Fee: ¥20/person; Cruise: ¥100/boat (1-4 people)
• Address: Jinxi Town, Kunshan, Suzhou, Jiangsu Province
What to expect at Jinxi Water Town
Foreigners believe Jinxi is a paragon of Yangtze River water towns and that its beauty surpasses that of Suzhou. The late well-known writer Shen Congwen described Jinxi Water Town as a dreaming damsel while Feng Yingzi, quoting an ancient Chinese line, said Jinxi Water Town “looks as becoming as ever, whether in light or heavy make-up”.
Jinxi Water Town is a town happily nestling in its quiet natural environment. The neighboring centers of Zhouzhuang and Tongli, by attracting hordes of tourists, help Jinxi Water Town maintain its tranquil atmosphere.
Jinxi Water Town is named after the Jinxi River which zig-zags through the town from north to south. Taking a bird’s eye view of the town at twilight, one would see the green waters rippling and the houses of families residing on the riverbanks are reflected in the clear water. During the day, the bright sun covers the surface of the water with a golden light.
How to get to Jinxi Water Town
• Take direct bus from Shanghai Long-distance Bus Station to the town.
• Take Metro Line 11 and get off at Huaqiao Station. Then take Tourist Line 7 to Jinxi town.
• Take a direct bus from Suzhou North Bus Station to the town.
• Take bus No. 107, 130 or 133 and get off at Jinxi Statioin.
• Take bus No. 161 and get off at Jinxi Huyuan Statioin.
• Take Tourist Line 1 and get to the Jinxi Tourist Center directly.
Additional travel advice on Jinxi Water Town
• Please take care when taking a river cruise.
• The old town is free to enter and exit. The entrance ticket is for the 9 sites inside.