Introducing Fujian Tulou (from Fujian Provincial Tourism Information Center)
The Fujian Tulou is found chiefly in Yongding, Nanjing and Hua’an. It is praised as a magnificent architectural work of village houses in the world for its long history, unique style, smart structure and magnificent scale. There are round and square types of Fujian Tulou. The round ones (also known as “Round Stockade”) are the example of Fujian Tulou and they are mostly composed of two to three circles linking to one another from within.
Fujian Tulou is a well-protected fortress in storey shape for the self-defense of Hakka people against enemies. In addition to the queer tricks of defense against the enemies, it has the functions of quakeproof, fire prevention, guarding against wild animals and good ventilation & lighting. The fantastic and spectacular Fujian Tulou demonstrates the great creativity of the working people of ancient China, and it has attracted more and more overseas visitors. Fujian Tulou has fallen under the preparative list declared by China for “Directory of World Heritages”. The buildings of Zhengcheng, Chengqi, Yijing and Eryi are the typical representatives of Fujian Tulou.
Fujian Tulou Fast Facts
• Chinese Name: Fu Jian Tu Lou 福建土楼
• Best Time to Visit: April to October
• Recommended Visiting Hours: 2 to 3 hours
• Things to Do: Photography, Architecture, Culture
• Opening Hours: 08:00-17:00
• Entrance Fee: CNY 90 for Tianluokeng Tulou; CNY40 for Hokeng Tulou; CNY 45 for Hongkeng Tulou; CNY 90 for Dadi Tulou
• Address: Yongding County, Nanjing County and Hua’an County, Xiamen, Fujiang Province
What UNESCO says of Fujian Tulou
The Fujian Tulou are the most representative and best preserved examples of the tulou of the mountainous regions of south-eastern China. The large, technically sophisticated and dramatic earthen defensive buildings, built between the 13th and 20th centuries, in their highly sensitive setting in fertile mountain valleys, are an extraordinary reflection of a communal response to settlement which has persisted over time. The tulou, and their extensive associated documentary archives, reflect the emergence, innovation, and development of an outstanding art of earthen building over seven centuries. The elaborate compartmentalised interiors, some with highly decorated surfaces, met both their communities’ physical and spiritual needs and reflect in an extraordinary way the development of a sophisticated society in a remote and potentially hostile environment. The relationship of the massive buildings to their landscape embodies both Feng Shui principles and ideas of landscape beauty and harmony.
How to get to Fujian Tulou
• Take a bus from Xiamen Fanghu Bus Station or Xinglin Bus Station to Yongding Tulou directly (3-4 hours).
• Take a bus from Xiamen Fanghu Bus Station to Shuyang Town (3-4 hours).Then walk to Tianluokeng Tulou.
• Take a bus from Xiamen Fanghu Bus Station to Hua’an County (2 hours). Then take a taxi to Hua’an Tulou.
• Rent a car/bus from GGC to enjoy a hassle free private transfer from hotels in Xiamen to Fujian Tulou.
Additional travel advice on Fujian Tulou
• Please wear comfortable working shoes.
• Prepare mosquito repellent or long-sleeved clothes to prevent mosquito bites.