Introducing Flowers and Birds Market
The Flowers and Birds Market is located in the Kunming’s downtown area, and is the city’s biggest and most popular bazaar. Visitors can purchase all kinds of flowers and birds, as its name suggests, one can also find a wide array of knick-knacks, souvenirs, replica weapons, fish, turtles, rodents, and many other items on sale. The market offers the typical Chinese shopping atmosphere with bargaining shoppers and shrewd shopkeepers.
Flowers and Birds Market Fast Facts
• Chinese Name: Jing Xing Hua Niao Shi Chang 景星花鸟市场
• Best Time to Visit: November to January
• Recommended Visiting Hours: About 1 to 2 hours
• Things to Do: Photography, Flowers, Birds, Shopping
• Opening Hours: All Day
• Entrance Fee: Free
• Address: Jingxing Street, Wuhua District, Kunming, Yunnan Province
What to expect at Flowers and Birds Market
The water pipe is used to smoke tobacco by local people. There are water pipes in various sizes and styles, which are mainly made of metal and wood.
Flower and Bird distribution center
Because of its famous name “the Spring City”, the mild climate of Kunming makes the flower and bird market become a flourishing flower distribution center in China. The Flowers and Birds Market has gradually been built into a comprehensive public spot for leisure, shopping, and trading since 1983. Strolling on the market street, you can see shops and stalls of all sorts, especially those featuring flowers, birds, pets, and fish. Beautiful blossoms and delicate plant crafts lure the visitor. Hundreds of flowers including orchids, camellias, lilies, roses, and tulips bloom in profusion. You can buy flowers, made-up boutiques, or potted flowers as well as various styles of vases there. You will hear continuous bird song from parrots, mynahs, thrushes, and cuckoos, most of which are for sale. The fishes are mainly tropical — small and brightly colored for home aquariums. Moreover, you could buy many other arts and crafts like curios, coins, jade articles, jewelry, ink stones, porcelains, potteries, stone carvings, and marble products in the market.
How to get to Flowers and Birds Market
• By Bus: take bus No. 10, 82, 84, 116 or K13 and get off at Nanpingjie Xikou Station; take bus No. 95, 120 or 124 and get off at Longjing Jiekou Station.
• Rent a car/bus from GGC to enjoy a hassle free private transfer from hotels in Kunming to Flowers and Birds Market.
Additional travel advice on Flowers and Birds Market
• Please take care of your belongings at the market.