Introducing Dry Sea
The Dry Sea (Ganhaizi) is located at the east foot of the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, 25 kilometers away from Lijiang Old Town. As its name implies, it had been a highland glacial lake before the 1940s and became a vast meadow after the water dried up. Surrounded on all three sides by mountains, the Dry Sea is the closest and the best place to get a panorama of the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain.
Dry Sea Fast Facts
• Chinese Name: Gan Hai Zi 甘海子
• Best Time to Visit: April to October
• Recommended Visiting Hours: About 1 to 2 hours
• Things to Do: Photography, Nature, Hiking
• Opening Hours: 07:00-18:00
• Entrance Fee: CNY 100 for entering Jade Dragon Snow Mountain
• Address: Jade Dragon Snow Mountain Scenic Area, Yulong Naxi Autonomous County, Lijiang, Yunnan
What to expect at Dry Sea
On the Dry Sea, spring is a busy because the meadow bursts into colorful blooms and is full of vitality. In summertime, glittering glaciers can be seen clearly through telescopes. It is the flourishing plants all over the mountains that tinge the glaciers with the filmy green. When autumn comes, the meadow turns the green leaves into bright yellow, orange and scarlet. Covered by pure snow in winter, the meadow and the mountains bring forth a kind of holy beauty. For the locals, the Dry Sea is an abundant pastureland with herders who intersperse their grazing livestock such as cattle, goats, sheep and yaks etc.
How to get to Dry Sea
• Dry Sea is located in the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain Scenic Area. Take a bus from Lijiang Bus Station (Yuhe Parking Lot) at the north entrance of Lijiang Old Town to Jade Dragon Snow Mountain.
• Rent a car/bus from GGC to enjoy a hassle free private transfer from hotels in Lijiang to Dry Sea.
Additional travel advice on Dry Sea
• Please wear sunscreen, hat and sunglasses to prevent sunburns.
• Please wear comfortable hiking shoes and clothes.