Introducing Tiger Leaping Gorge
Tiger Leaping Gorge is a scenic canyon on the Jinsha River, the Chinese name of the upper Yangtze River. It’s part of the Three Parallel Rivers of Yunnan Protected Areas and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Around 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) in length, the gorge is located where the river passes between the 5,596 metres (18,360 ft) Jade Dragon Snow Mountain and the 5,396 metres (17,703 ft) Haba Snow Mountain in a series of rapids under steep 2,000 metres (6,600 ft) cliffs. At a maximum depth of approximately 3,790 meters (12,434 feet) from river to mountain peak, Tiger Leaping Gorge is one of the deepest and most spectacular river canyons in the world.
Tiger Leaping Gorge Fast Facts
• Chinese Name: Hu Tiao Xia 虎跳峡
• Best Time to Visit: April to June; September to October
• Recommended Visiting Hours: About 3 to 4 hours
• Things to Do: Photography, Hiking, Adventure
• Opening Hours: 08:30-18:00
• Entrance Fee: CNY 65
• Address: Hutiaoxia Town, Shangri-La, Diqing Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, Yunnan
What to expect at Tiger Leaping Gorge
Lijiang Tiger Leaping Gorge is 17 km in length and the starting point is 200 m higher than the ending point. At the starting point, there is a huge stone in the middle of the river and the distance between the stone and the banks is around 30 m. It is said that tigers can leap from one side to the other via this stone, hence Lijiang Tiger Leaping Gorge is so named.
Tiger Leaping Gorge is renowned for its steep. First its mountains, on each side of the Gorge is the high mountains stand erect on the earth. Its mountain peak is over 3,000 meters higher than its surface of river, which is even higher than The Three Gorges in Chongqing. Through that we can have a glimpse of its depth. Due to its extreme height and little width, the river flowing is in fast speed with splendid sightseeing like high waves and fogs prevalent in the air.
You can also enjoy other ancient relics like Gold Lock, Stone Lion, Salt Garage, Stone Elephant. etc.Tiger Leaping Gorge is of such gorgeous beauty that it attracts tourists both home and abroad to make adventure here.
How to get to Tiger Leaping Gorge
• Take a bus from Lijiang Bus Station to Upper Tiger Leaping Gorge. It takes about 2 hours to reach there.
• To get to Middle Tiger Leaping Gorge, visitors can reach Hutiaoxia Town first and then hire a car to reach there.
• Rent a car/bus from GGC to enjoy a hassle free private transfer from hotels in Lijiang and Shangri-La to Tiger Leaping Gorge.
Additional travel advice on Tiger Leaping Gorge
• Please take an umbrella, some food and enough drinkable water with you.
• Please wear sunscreen, hat and sunglasses to prevent sunburns.
• Please wear comfortable hiking shoes with a good grip. Watch out your steps and take care while hiking along the river.
• The rainy season is from July to August. Rockfalls and landslides take place sometimes, which will cause accidents. Please take care and check the weather condition before hiking.