Introducing Wangcheng Park
Luoyang Wangcheng Park, located on the main road of Luoyang, is one of the most famous parks in Luoyang and the first cultural relic park in China. The park’s name, Wangcheng, literally means the city of the king, as it was built in 1955 on the site of the capital city of the Zhou Dynasty (11BC – 22BC). Wangcheng Park now is one of the best places to enjoy the peony flowers every April.
Wangcheng Park Fast Facts
• Chinese Name: Wang Cheng Gong Yuan 王城公园
• Best Time to Visit: April to October
• Recommended Visiting Hours: About 1 to 2 hours
• Things to Do: Photography, Flowers, Animals
• Opening Hours: 06:30-20:00
• Entrance Fee: Free for the park; CNY 15 for the Zoo inside; CNY 20 to 30 for combo ticket during the Peony Festival from April to Early May
• Address: No. 312 Zhongzhou Middle Road, Xigong District, Luoyang, Henan Province
What to expect at Wangcheng Park
Ever since then workers in Luoyang Wangcheng Park began growing peony flowers, the floral emblem of Luoyang and China. Now you can find over 800 categories of the flower throughout Luoyang Wangcheng Park’s Peony Garden. Each April, during the Luoyang Peony Festival, hundreds of thousands of peonies bloom together in a majestic display of natural beauty. The prime time to enjoy the peony flowers is from April 5 to 20. The peony planted in Luoyang Wangcheng Park is taken good care of all-year round, including the use of organic fertilization.
Besides the Peony Garden, another two major attractions in Luoyang Wangcheng Park are the Historic Area and the Peony Culture Area. In the Historic Area, in the west of the park, tourists could see architecture of the ancient times, such as the Jishengzhu Tablets, a Shenyuantai Hall, Jicheng Hall, Zhou Memorial Pavilion and Mingdemen Gate, which reflects the glamour of the Zhou Dynasty, Han Dynasty (206BC – 220) and Tang Dynasty (618 – 907). The Peony Culture Area presents poems from a number of literary giants and artwork from famous calligraphers and painters. The three art forms are displayed along a long, columned corridor.
As the biggest comprehensive park in Luoyang, Wangcheng Park also has a small zoo and an amusement area, adding entertainment for the many visitors.
How to get to Wangcheng Park
• Take bus 10/K10, 19/K19, 40/K40 or 99/K99 and get off at Wangcheng Park Station.
• Rent a car/bus from GGC to enjoy a hassle free private transfer from hotels in Luoyang to Wangcheng Park.
Additional travel advice on Wangcheng Park
• There would be crowds during the Pony Festival. Please take care of yourselves and belongings.
• Do not pick flowers or trample on the lawn.
• Do not tease or feed animals in the zoo.