Introducing Nanshan Pastures (from China Daily Information)
If you like nature and ethnic culture, the South Pasture on Nanshan Mountain in the Kelawucheng Mountain range has both. Urumqi Nanshan Pastures is a mountain region about 70 kilometers south of Urumqi that is kind of like Colorado high-mountain grassland, but greener, and there are evergreens. Urumqi Nanshan Pastures is about two hours away from Urumqi, and people like to go there in the hot summers.
There Kazaks continue to herd sheep, cattle and horses like their ancestors in a landscape of snow-covered peaks and emerald-green grasslands. The Kazakhs will guide you on tours on their horses, and you can have exotic meals and stay in their yurts inexpensively. A highlight in the Nanshan Mountain Pasture area is a glacier in the higher elevations of Nanshan Mountain that is called Number One Glacier that you can travel to see by automobile. You can also enjoy great mountain scenery, hike and ride horses, experience some of the Kazakh way of life, and dine and stay in a yurt relatively cheaply not far from Urumqi.
Nanshan Pastures Fast Facts
• Chinese Name: Nan Shan Mu Chang 南山牧场
• Best Time to Visit: May to November
• Recommended Visiting Hours: 3-5 hours
• Things to Do: Photography, Hiking, Nature
• Opening Hours: All day
• Entrance Fee: CNY 30
• Address: Gangou County, Urumqi, Xinjiang
How to get to Nanshan Pastures
• Nanshan Pastures is approximately 70 km away from Nanning.
• Take a bus from Urumqi Nanjiao Bus Station to Nanshan Pastures directly.
• Rent a car/bus from GGC to enjoy a hassle free private transfer from hotels in Urumqi to Nanshan Pastures.
Additional travel advice on Nanshan Pastures
• Please wear comfortable walking shoes.
• Prepare some food and drinkable water.
• Please wear sunscreen, hat and sunglasses to prevent strong sunlight.