Introducing Huanglongxi Ancient Town
Huanglongxi is a 1730-year-old town about 30 km from Chengdu. The town is named after the Huanglong River which makes a gentle curve in the middle of town. Admire old-style wooden facades, cobblestone alleys, and water mills at Huanglongxi Ancient Town, a historically important seat of Ming and Qing dynasty residences. Their roof, with pointed eaves, spot tiles are often encrusted with aged moss, giving them an aged look that is hard to duplicate. Many film makers choose to shoot exterior scenes of period movies in Huanglongxi.
Huanglongxi Ancient Town Fast Facts
• Chinese Name: Huanglongxi Guzhen 黄龙溪古镇
• Best Time to Visit: April to October
• Recommended Visiting Hours: About 3 to 5 hours
• Things to Do: Photography, Architecture, Shopping, Snacks
• Opening Hours: All day
• Entrance Fee: Free
• Address: Huanglongxi Town, Shuangliu District, Chengdu, Sichuan Province
What to expect at Huanglongxi Ancient Town
Located in Huanglong Village, Songpan County, this area consists of Huanglong canyon, Danyun Gorge, Xuebaoding, and some other scenic attractions. Huanglongxi Ancient Town, named after the well-known Buddhist Huanglong Temple, is a UNESCO World Natural Heritage site, and is characterized by surface adarce, 3,000+ spectacular colorful pools, adarce floodland, waterfalls, and caves. Against a backdrop of snow peaks and luxuriant forests, the Huanglongxi Ancient Town is reminiscent of a golden Chinese dragon weaving and winding out of the seemingly endless forests.
There are many Tibetan delights to sample in Huanglongxi Ancient Town, including qingke tsampa, cheese, beef and lamb, and vegetables; the preferred drinks of Tibetans include milk tea, buttered tea, yoghurt, and qingke and corn spirits. Tibetan hosts honor their guests by treating them to shouzhuarou (boiled lamb), which is typically eaten with the hands, and blood sausage.
Among the well-known temples in Huanglongxi are Zhenjiang Temple, Chaoyin Temple and Gulong Temple. Being developed as a tourist attraction in recent years, the town is filled with touristy retail shops (dealing in snacks, souvenirs, arts and crafts etc.), food establishments, Chinese teahouses, cafes and fish spas.
How to get to Huanglongxi Ancient Town
• Take a direct bus from Xinnanmen Bus Station or Jinsha Bus Station to Huanglongxi Ancient Town.
• Take bus No. 526, 546, 808, 819 or 801 to Huanglongxi Ancient Town.
Additional travel advice on Huanglongxi Ancient Town
• It often rains in spring and summer. Please prepare an umbrella or a raincoat along with you.
• Please take care of your belongings while touring the town.
• The local food is always spicy. Please let the seller know in advance if you are not used to spicy food.