Introducing Sun Island
The Sun Island is a small island located on the north bank of the Songhua River. It is a famous resort in Harbin. Surrounded by blue water, Harbin Sun Island boasts crystal lakes, wooden rockeries, beautiful flowers and exotic buildings, covering a total area of 3,800 hectares.
Sun Island Fast Facts
• Chinese Name: Tai Yang Dao 太阳岛
• Best Time to Visit: June to August; December to the next February
• Recommended Visiting Hours: About 2 to 3 hours
• Things to Do: Photography, Ice and Snow Sculpture, Amusement
• Opening Hours: 08:30-17:00
• Entrance Fee: ¥330 (During Harbin International Snow Sculpture Expo); ¥30 (at other times)
• Address: No 3 Jingbei Road, Songbei District, Harbin, Heilongjiang Province
What to expect at Sun Island
In the early years, the Manchu people fished and hunted here. The Songhua River is rich in squid. The pronunciation of squid in Manchurian language is similar to the pronunciation of “Sun” in Chinese. Hence the name, Sun Island. Along the development of Middle-Eastern Railway in 20th century, hundreds of thousands of foreigners came to settle down in Harbin and built many villas. Later in 1964, the Sun Island Scenic Spot was established. Aimed to be a Eco-city, the Harbin government invests a large number of fund to build the Sun Island.
The Sun Island is known for landscaped gardens, a water world, a Russian-style town, and various small galleries and museums. It is of different beauty in all year. In summer, the comfortable cool breeze makes Harbin Sun Island the first choice to escape from the heat; in winter, Harbin Sun Island is a paradise of ice and snow. During the Ice & Snow Festival ever year, Sun Island hosts a spectacular snow sculpture display called the Harbin International Snow Sculpture Art Expo, attracting thousands of visitors.
How to get to Sun Island
• Take Tourist Bus Line 1, 3, 4 or Taiyangdao Tourist Line to the Sun Island.
Additional travel advice on Sun Island
• Prepare some food, drinkable water as restaurants and vendors are few in the scenic area.
• Please wear warm clothes and keep the camera, telephone or other electronic equipment warm to work with battery while taking outdoor activities in winter.
• Sunglasses are necessary to avoid snow blindness in winter.